Wednesday 7 September 2011

Examples of other texts; Album Covers

Here I have compiled a list of some of the album artwork that I find particularly inspiring.
Passion Pit - Chunk of Change. I like the eye-catchy graphics on the front of this cover, as it gives it quite a unique and interesting feel. The name of the band and album is obvious which is inspiriation we wil take when desiging our album cover.

Arctic Monkeys - Favourite worst nightmare. I like the contrast between the dark council houses and the bright abstract graphics inside the house.

Beyonce -4. I like the colour feel that this has to it. I also like how the predominant focus is on Beyonce.

Hot Chip - Made in the Dark. I like the contrasting colours and the abstract patten on this cover. I like how the circle could represent a CD inside.

 Coldplay- X&Y. I find this cover really interesting at it doesn't have any obvious connection to the album and the songs it contains. I enjoy how simplistic yet interesting it is.
 Ellie Goulding - Your Song EP. I like the colour scheme of this and the light spots, it gives it a warm feel and reflects the song.
 Feist - The reminder. I like the silhouette of the front woman, and the stripes that look like ribbon are really interesting.
 Kanye West- Graduation. The vivid colours and the abstract design make this a really interesting cover. I will take inspiration from the bright and eye catching colours.
Kanye West & Jay-Z - Watch the Throne. The design of this is very intricate yet it has no relation to the title of the album or the artists. I like how different and eye catching it is.
Kate Nash- Made of Bricks. The picture of the house relates to the 'Made of Bricks' title, as houses are made of bricks. I like how the four primary colours are used as it gives it a simplistic, almost childish feel.

The Killers - Day and Age. I like the mosaic pattern used, and how the sky gets darker the further it goes up. I also like the dramatic colours used, as it makes it really eye catching.

La Roux - La Roux. I like the red colour scheme, as Roux almost sounds like rouge which is french for red. The focus on the main artist on the cover is an element I like, however it would take a lot of photo shopping if I took a photo of my main artist this close up as La Roux has flawless skin.

Laura Marling - Laura Marling. I like the drawn effect of this album artwork as it makes it have a more homemade feeling. This reflects her music as it is very acoustic. I think an album that reflects a bands style is clever.
Florence and the Machine - I like the colour scheme and the unusual setting. It reflects florence's style.
Rihanna - Loud. The colour scheme and mise en scene is really attractive to look at. The fact the album title is ' Loud' matches with the vibrant, vivid, bright colours.
Kanye West - Runaway. This album cover matches with the video, the ballerina gives it an abstract feel as you don't often find ballerina's in warehouses. The contrast of the green warehouse and the Red 'Runaway' Is aesthetically pleasing.
Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend. This is my favorite album cover that I have analysed. I really like the Chandelier and the heads, which impies the picture was taken at a party.This could imply their music is played at parties.

1 comment:

  1. try to split your choices into 2 clear lists. the covers that are more abstract and those that feature the artist. this will help you come to a clearer decision about which style will work more effectively for you. good choice of covers.

    ReplyDelete